Friday, January 8, 2010

Proud to be an Indian?

Are you proud to be an Indian? I know if I put forth this question to anyone of you, pat will come the response - “YES!!” But hold on. Don’t give me an answer that has been programmed in your head, and don’t give me an answer that is all heart. For this is a vital question that really needs to be pondered over, and its significance is huge.

What do we have to be proud of as an Indian? There are a lot of things. The first thing that comes into mind is, almost always, our rich cultural heritage. Not only do we have a rich and diverse culture that has survived the test of time, our earlier generations were pioneers in many fields, and many of their achievements are even marvelled at today. We can be proud of the fact that we have embraced all cultures, and live in harmony despite our differences. “Unity in diversity”. There is our independence struggle, which brought forth many heroes and was perhaps the first freedom struggle to showcase non-violent methods as an effective force. India has taken leaps and strides in its 62 years of independence, and is now a world power to be reckoned with.

But look at these reasons. Don’t you think we are constantly looking at the past for things to be proud of? Sure, the past is definitely something to be proud of, but is it enough? What about today? What can you say that you are proud of now? Unity in diversity? We all know the reality to that – politicians using the weapon of religious politics have ripped apart our unity, not unlike the ‘Divide and rule’ policy adopted by the British. The people who once were ready to embrace all that was good, no matter what the religious background; and who said that all people on earth were their kinsmen, today cannot even tolerate people practicing their own set of values. As for the progress chart of our country, our position in the world is something we can be proud of. But what of the situation within the country? Sure, we have come a long way, but was this all we could achieve in 62 years?

I know what you will say. Every country has problems. It is not just exclusive to India. And I don’t disagree. But this brings me to the vital point. We talk about the shortcomings of our country (which have been there for a very long time, mind you) in such a matter-of-fact way. We don’t feel even slightly upset about the plight of our nation, which we are apparently very proud of. When someone talks about all the ills of India, we nod our understanding and sympathetically shake our head and mutter “This country will never improve!” in disgust.

Being proud of one’s country isn’t only about standing at attention and singing the national anthem. It isn’t only about shedding a tear or getting inspired when a patriotic movie is on. It isn’t only about supporting the national team at sporting events. It may include these. There is a common misconception in India that being proud of India is all about shouting the virtues of our country on a loudspeaker, while blinding ourselves of all the problems that face the nation. “I love my India, whatever it be, however it be.” Noble, but is it enough?

Isn’t patriotism or being proud of one’s country about loving the country enough to look at the problems it faces? Wouldn’t a patriotic person feel upset about the fact that his/her nation is lacking so much, when it has so much potential? Wouldn’t he/she be so distraught over the plight of his/her nation that taking action would seem like the only step left?

Today, apathy is a disease affecting each and every Indian. The “chalta-hai” attitude of her people has become India’s curse. Indians talk about India with a hopelessness. How can such people say that they are proud of India, if they think there is no hope for India?

As proud Indians, shouldn't we join hands and move towards a common goal – to take India to where it can, and should be? Isn’t it time we actually made an effort to shed our apathy, our helplessness, and try to act? Don’t we all deserve a country which is the pride of its people and which is looked at in awe by the world? I think we do. And I think it is time we made our love for our India count. After all, we believe we are proud to be Indians, don’t we?

9 comments:

Me, Inside-Out!! said...

Very good rahul! It was more like a movie. I was wondering why have you taken up this topic to blog. I was actually thinking of quitting till the start of the 3rd para...
Its when the blog takes off to next level, a level that shows the stark reality thats hovering the nation.

This was my RDB affect after the movie. The problem now a days is that people have become so involved with the micro problems that macro level thinking's considered waste of time. The disease is so deep rooted that the virus that has caused it, has now become latent.

Its time we need revolutionaries the way we had during freedom struggle. But the situation is different, the enemies too. the revolution we are talking should also be different. You should accept the fact there is a term called "Leader". Not everyone can be a leader. Not every person is this country can think rationally or should I say revolutionally, if there is any word like that. So we need some good leaders to think and make people think in these lines.

Are you ready to take the charge?

Thought provoking blog, good !

Rahul MD said...

Your're very generous in your praise, as always.. :)
But on a more serious note, I think you raised some serious points in your comment; and I agree there is a need for a revolution.. Though I think it must be started by the right person.. for which I am not qualified yet..
But yeah.. I will continue to write on issues I think are plaguing the nation.. and I hope more people read these posts..
Anyway, glad tht you liked it.. Jai Hind!

Rish said...

Even I was thinking like Sujith what made you write such a blog. To be frank I was not interested initially and thought to read later (may not be actually) but post third para made me read till last ..

First congrats for writing such a nice article.

To add to previous comment, to make our nation retain its past glory, initiative should begin at micro level. Remember forests cannot be cultivated overnight.

How many of us really do care about nation, very simple leave nation , about the state we live in, city we reside, street where we walk everyday.

If the lamps are not working how many of us take the initiative to call the municipality. Our attitude is why should I be bothered as I'm not going to be here permanently or some other lame excuse.

This attitude is what have to be changed, "why should I". I'm not saying everyone should join politics but try to be a good citizen at-least.

When China or USA wins gold medal, we look so desperately as whether we bag one silver / bronze at least. Is it because we don't have resources. Its the politics in every field that has resulted in such poor state of affairs.

In my view Transparency in every form is the need of hour. But as the old story goes .. Who will tie the bell for the cat???

Rahul MD said...

harish,
u hav come up with the real crux of the issue.. like they say, improvement should start at home.. the rest will follow...
as for who will bell the cat.. isn't that the all important question? i wish i knew the answer to that one..i just hope someone comes up soon..neway i will keep hoping..and writing.. i will try to create awareness in my own small way..

itsyvitsy said...

This is my first visit to your blog and boy, you have a point! Patriotism isn't confined to petty things such as standing in attention while the National Anthem is being played, by recounting the sacrifices of our immortal freedom fighters, or by shouting "I love India" in the streets.

But remember, loyalty or patriotism is not something than can be forced. It has to come from within. If I like to blog it is because it is something that makes me happy, it is something that lets me live my dream - but I may not be really concerned about bringing about a disruption in the way things are in India. Does that make me unpatriotic? Loyalties are given to those who can safeguard your interests.

This is a highly cliched topic and one can go on and on about it. More than entire India uniting under some common attitude, it is better that each one of us is inclined to help our next door neighbour. Unless we have that attitude 'United India' will remain an unfulfilled dream.

Renu said...

I dont think many are..and this fact saddens me that national pride is taking a back seat for this generation.

Rahul MD said...

@Renu,
I agree with you in part, though I am not sure that this generation has made a conscious decision to ignore national pride.. i feel national pride has been misinterpreted, and the fire that the freedom fighters and earlier leaders had to try and develop India as a nation is surely dwindling... but I hope that it changes, and I would like to inspire people through this post..
but I am glad to agree with me.. let's hope and make efforts to change our generation's thinking

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I totally agree with you. The blog raises some valid points... We say that we are responsible and aware citizens but even now we treat the election day as a national holiday rather making a responsible decision of choosing a right candidate. So many people, and mind you they are the educated professionals who contribute to the country's intellectual and economic growth, don't even have their voter ID cards. So I think it's about time that we stop cribbing and do something about our country.