Thursday, March 4, 2010

Love at First Sight

“It’s such a nonsensical idea. How can you just see a person and fall in love with him or her?” Rajeev asked.

“You’re so unromantic machan...” Neeru responded. “Can’t it happen that you just get a look at someone and feel like you are in heaven?”

“Thunderbolt!” Tom chipped in.

“Riiight. You fall in ‘love’ just based on looks without any idea what sort of person he/she is. How superficial is that?”

“You’re so pissing off man. No wonder you have no girlfriend.”

“Thank God for that!!!”

==================

It was not until three years of knowing her that Rajeev told Pavithra that he loved her. Two years later, he proposed marriage.

“Finally!”, Pavithra exclaimed. “It took five years, but atleast now you got the courage!”

“It wasn’t about courage, Pavi. I wanted to make sure that we were perfect for each other. This isn’t a Hindi movie where the girl and guy just fall in love looking at each other. This is our life.”

“Hmph. You could have tried to be romantic atleast today.”

====================

Rajeev walked through the corridor of the hospital as if in a trance. The duty nurse was offering soothing words. It didn’t help. As he reached the empty waiting area, he prayed that Pavithra would be alright.

It seemed like an eternity before a nurse stepped out of the theatre. As she walked towards him, Rajeev prayed furiously. “Congratulations. You’re the father of a beautiful baby girl. The mother is fine too.” Rajeev accepted the small bundle the nurse offered gingerly, trying to be delicate. Looking at his daughter; taking in every tiny detail, Rajeev felt like he was heaven.

Tears running down his cheeks, Rajeev laughed silently. It had finally happened to him.
It was love at first sight.

====================

P.S: My first attempt at a genre I never thought I would venture into - "Flash Fiction". A word of mention to Sujith Kamath's post (which I think is a work of genius), which helped open the doors. Thanks dude.

I hope you guys like this post. Please let me know with your comments.

9 comments:

itsyvitsy said...

Rahul,

Now, that was out of the box. :-D Innovation and improvisation are the only things that can make a story different and unique, of course the style of the writer also needs to be given credit. It is really beautiful. The scenes nicely building up to one of the most beautiful climaxes. Loved it man, loved it. :-)

Rajeev, eh? My latest post also has a Rajiv. Read it sometime.

Cheers!

Sujith said...

Now that you have showered me with those generous praises, I can't say anything.... Mere ankhon mein khusi ke aansu aa rahe hain hunh hunh (This is how I sound while I sob).. :|

Jokes apart, I liked it very much. Moreover I was able to connect very well too.... you know, as I said... I am a firm believer of love at first sight.... I keep falling in love every now and then...

Great one, mama!! It was very Fictitiously Flashy... Hope to see more in the same genre..

Rahul MD said...

@Vittal:
Dude.. I am so glad you liked it.. I've wanted to try something different for awhile, and finally it's come through.. And I'm glad you guys are appreciating it..
And about your post, I read it and liked it.. Can't say it better than the comment I posted..

Rahul MD said...

@Sujith:
Hey, good that you liked it.. Funny you said about connecting, because I am not really a believer.. But then again, to each his own..
I can't promise you more of the same genre, since I found it a little hard like I told you, but then I will surely keep trying...

Unknown said...

Hmmm... You have always been a good story teller... And it is nice to see that you have written something for public viewing also... You sure have a flair for creating interesting situations and putting them together as an anecdote or a "flash fiction" as this one is called... A very interesting read and really sweet!!!

Karthik said...

Aha! One of the shortest love stories I've read so far. Just too good.
Superbly written. Three different scenes got over in a flash. Perhaps that's why it's called flash fiction.
Great going, Rahul. Loved it. :)

Rahul MD said...

@Shachi:
I am so glad about the fact that you found it really sweet, because that is exactly the reaction I hoped to get from you..
This blog is very special for one more reason..This is the first one that has reached this space without a single change from my lovely editor..you know who that is...

Rahul MD said...

@Karthik:
Thanks dude...It's great that you liked it...

Unknown said...

Nice !!! :D !! r these ur instant stories like in class ;D !!! hahaha !!